Home flooring and decor projects can be challenging. However, home flooring projects are more demanding than other projects. It requires more money and energy. This does not mean that you should continue living with your worn-out flooring. The good thing is that there are various flooring options out there. Even so, picking a flooring option blindly and hoping that it will work is not a wise idea. It would help if you looked at some essential things before you choose your preferred flooring option. Here is how to choose the right flooring when searching for a “flooring company near me” for your next home flooring project!
TYPES OF FLOORING
There are various flooring options out there. This does not mean that every choice will be right for you. You need to understand the cons and pros of every type of flooring. Here is an in-depth look at different types of flooring.
* HARDWOOD FLOORING
Hardwood flooring has various options. You can choose to go with solid wood or engineered wood. Solid wood is made of wood from top to bottom, while engineered wood is composed of real wood bonded to several other wood layers beneath it. Engineered wood is usually purchased pre-finished, while solid wood can be finished on-site. It can also be bought pre-finished. Here are the pros and cons of hardwood flooring:
* It is durable when well maintained.
* Hardwood flooring is renewable.
* Several style-options.
* Warmer than other flooring options.
* Cheaper because it is renewable.
* Does not require on-site finishing.
* It is susceptible to scratches.
* The extended presence of moisture can damage it.
* Squeaks and creaks can develop over time.
* BAMBOO FLOORING
Although bamboo looks like wood, it is grass and can be hard than wood. The environmental sustainability of wood makes it a go-to option for several homeowners. Here are the benefits and disadvantages of bamboo flooring.
* It is environmentally friendly because it regenerates after 4-7 years.
* Bamboo flooring is as hard as hardwood flooring.
* Expands and contracts less than wood.
* It is resistant to moisture.
* You can carbonize it.
* It contains glues with high levels of VOCs because it is engineered.
* Some products are not durable.
* Lacks the grain variation that woos has.
It is a combination of linseed oil, wood or cork flour, mineral fillers, and pigments. This combination is added to a jute or canvas backing. Below are the benefits and disadvantages of linoleum.
* It is environmentally friendly.
* Linseed oil gives it anti-bacterial properties.
* Chips and scratches are not visible due to the natural color
* Easy to install because it is available in click-tiles.
* Repels dust because it is anti-static.
* Linoleum is durable.
* Has several color options.
* Its porosity makes it unsuitable for wet environments like bathrooms.
* You will have to contact a professional for glue-down installation.
* CARPET FLOORING
Carpet flooring is one of the most popular flooring options. Most people prefer this flooring option because it is warm and soft. It also comes in a variety of patterns and styles. Learn more about the cons and pros of carpet flooring below.
* Carpet flooring is warm and soft.
* Offers more style and color options.
* It is a good sound insulator.
* Its soft nature helps prevent injury from falls.
* Cleaning stains is not easy.
* It accommodates allergens and dust if not regularly cleaned.
* It has high levels of volatile organic compounds.
* Too much moisture can damage it.
* TILE FLOORING
You will have various styles and decorating options if you decide tile flooring is the way to go. What is more, is that you can combine tiles with different flooring options. The following are the cons and pros of tiles.
* Various varieties of styles, textures, and colors.
* It is durable.
* It requires low maintenance.
* Tiles are resistant to wear and fade.
* They have good thermal mass properties.
* Dirt and stains can be tarped in the grout lines
* The grout lines can be a hindrance to wheelchairs and wheeled walkers.
* Not ideal during the cold season.
* It can be slippery.
* VINYL FLOORING
Several homeowners prefer this flooring option due to its affordability and durability. This option is available in a wide range of colors and patterns. Discover the cons and pros of vinyl flooring here.
* Vinyl is affordable.
* It is easy to maintain.
* Come in a wide range of colors and patterns.
* The ideal option for you if you need a sound-absorbing option.
* It is eco-friendly.
* Vinyl is not heat-resistant.
* Furniture legs and even-pointed heeled shoes can easily dent it.
* LAMINATE FLOORING
Laminates look like other floor options. However, it is covered with a wear-protective layer. The following are the pros and cons of laminate flooring.
* It is durable
* Less costly.
* Laminate can be installed
* Easy to install.
* It has to be replaced when worn out.
* The seams between planks and edges can harbor spills that can cause edge-swell.
FINDING THE BEST FLOORING COMPANY
Working with the best flooring company in your area is the best thing you should do if you are at a loss. You will get helpful advice and quality flooring installation services. Included below is a great flooring company we found with hundreds of 5 star reviews in Spartanburg, South Carolina, for all your flooring needs!